We have so much to be thankful for this holiday season! Follow these six survival tips to stay healthy and fit through the holidays and the celebrations that go along with them.
1. Avoid skipping meals period, but especially on the day of events. If you think you are saving calories by not eating before your event, you are setting yourself up to over indulge and will wind up taking in more calories instead. On the day of a special occasion, have your breakfast, snacks and lunch, but make sure they are well rounded and nutrient dense foods like: eggs with spinach and fruit, apple with nuts and a salad with grilled chicken.
2. Maintain your exercise routine. Your calendar can get busy with festivities, shopping, seeing family and your normal everyday life. Each week, look at your calendar to schedule in your workout. Schedule as you would a very important meeting! Because it is. Interval training or high intensity interval training can be an efficient way to get a higher burn in a shorter time. You will also be burning more calories for as long 48 hours after you train. Make sure to exercise the day of events and day after for sure.
3. Plan ahead. Find recipes to make meals and freeze for the week(s) that you know you will be too busy for. You will avoid deferring to take out or worse!
4. When at parties, fill your plate with the healthy stuff first. That way there is little room for junk. Get involved in conversations and avoid standing by food displays.
5. Do enjoy yourself and set realistic goals. Enjoy the fresh baked apple pie, but avoid the store bought junk. Allow yourself some of the festivities, but within reason and not regularly.
6. Wash your hands often. Especially after you take public transportation, use any public area and before you leave the gym. This will greatly reduce risk of infection.
Most of all, have a fun and healthy season with your friends and family. Give thanks for what you do have and celebrate the relationships that support you and bring you joy.
If you find that you need some additional help achieving the healthy life-style you desire, feel free to contact Cole Family Practice of Dyersburg for a consultation.